Monday, January 31, 2011

Limitation Breeds Creativity

Sunday January 30 I went to the Barker Hangar at the Santa Monica airport and saw Raymond Pettibon speak. He was actually "In Conversation" with a friend of his who was really there to ask Raymond questions and try to keep him on track. I've liked Pettibon's work since the Black Flag days and now, I really wish I would have thought about trying to buy some of his work back them, because now I really want some and I can't afford it.
I was nervous that I wasn't going to make it to the noon event to which I had purchased advance tickets ... I took Joe to the train station in Fullerton got home to walk Otis and he promptly barfed twice. So I was feeling guilty about leaving him home alone but I knew he was tired and would fall asleep as soon as I left.
I left the house around 11:30 and made it just in time. If Mona hadn't been there early saving me a seat, I never would have pulled it off. Thank you Mona!
I took a few pictures with my phone and only 6 with my camera (it was a small venue and you could heard every camera click, so I was self conscious - plus Raymond Pettibon is awkward in front of a crowd and I didn't want to be the source of more awkwardness). I think you can tell by his body language that he's not too comfortable.


One thing that really stuck out was one of Raymond's answers to a weird question from an audience member. I really felt that the people asking questions were trying to be on the same plane as Pettibon. Kinda artsy, out there in left field, weirdos ... Basically, I didn't really understand what they were asking. Some guy asked a question somehow pertaining to limits and referenced haiku ... And Pettibon answered "Limitation Breeds Creativity" (I think that's what he said, I freeking loved it when he said it and now, 2 days later I'm having trouble recalling it). I just thought it was a great quote and it made me think a little bit ... Just a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment